Are you search for “best option to straighten my teeth”? Did you know braces can help rectify teeth problems like misalignment, crowding, or teeth that are out of shape? Teeth straightening is a gradual process where the braces put pressure on your teeth, allowing them to respond to the treatment. There are different braces options, the main one being metal braces. Are they the best option? Well, lets’ find out.
Table of Contents
When one hears of metal braces, they will picture in the vast metal brackets. Well, this is not a wrong idea. They are devices that help in teeth straightening, comprising metallic brackets and archwires. The orthodontist attaches brackets to the teeth with the aid of polymerized dental cement. They become visible when one opens their mouth.
Once the brackets are in place, they leave slots within them where the archwires pass through. The archwires constitute stainless steel, nickel-titanium, or titanium alloys. Most braces comprise 55% nickel and 45% titanium. Some metal braces will also include rubber bands that connect the brackets to the wires. The bands seek to add in pressure that helps align the teeth.
Pros and Cons of Metal Braces
Metal braces are the most common types of braces. They are great but also have their limitations. Below are some pros and cons of metal braces.
Pros of Metal Braces
- They are super affordable.
- They are more potent in straightening teeth than other options.
- They come in a variety of colors.
Cons Of Metal Braces
- They are the most visible braces.
- There are some food restrictions
- Need extra care and regular maintenance
- Lack of proper hygiene could lead to tooth decay
Alternatives to Metal Braces
Having braces can limit one from enjoying individual freedoms such as the food one eat. Another inconvenience comes in where one does not like how they appear when wearing the braces. Traditional metal braces, for instance, are more noticeable when one opens the mouth. Even though they are less expensive, not everyone appreciates this fact and wants everyone to notice that they have them on. You can currently explore other options if metal braces are not your cup of tea, thanks to modern technology. This section discusses different types of braces in 2021 that you can substitute with metal braces.
Are you looking for teeth aligners that are less noticeable by others? Try Invisalign braces. It is a clear set with hard plastic that the orthodontist fits into the mouth. These braces are the most common plastic aligners purposely built to treat misalignment or overcrowding teeth. Most people prefer it because it is clear hence less visible. What’s more? One can remove these aligners, making them a more comfortable option relative to metal braces.
Like any other type of braces, there are both pros and cons of Invisalign. Before you settle on this brace type, you should look at all its features to know what to expect.
- Convenient. Many people are now opting for this option to straighten teeth instead of metal braces. As such, they are available in many orthodontist facilities.
- Require minimal maintenance. The set may get dirty over time, but you can clear any stains using a toothbrush, bleach, and water.
- Comfortable. Invisalign has no archwires or brackets so that you won’t experience any cuts in your mouth.
- You can easily remove them. Unlike other types of braces, you have the option of eliminating Invisalign when eating or brushing your teeth. As such, you can eat whatever you want and also minimize the risk of gum diseases.
- Unnoticeable. Invisalign is clear, so they are more attractive than other braces. People will not notice them even when your mouth is open.
- Expensive. This is one of the most costly tooth braces you can have on. They cost between $3,500 to $8,000, and in most cases, dental insurance does not cover them.
- Long-wearing hours. It would help if you had these braces on for 22 hours per day. Meaning you can only remove them when eating or when cleaning your teeth.
- Quiet a bother. The fact that you have to remove them when eating makes Invisalign inconvenient. Also, it would be best if you brushed your teeth before putting them back. So, if you are out somewhere, you have to brush your teeth, which can be embarrassing.
Above are some pros and cons of Invisalign that you should consider before having them on. Most people find them great even though they have their limitations. Looking at this, they may or may not work for you. As such, ensure they are the best teeth straightening option for you.
There is a close relation between ceramic braces and metal braces. The only thing that separates these two is the clear brackets on ceramic braces. Similar to metal braces, ceramic braces have a small metal wire that attaches to the adjusting tooth.
Several advantages will make you go for ceramic braces to align your teeth and get that perfect smile. You don’t want anything that will compromise your appearance. That’s why you need to choose ceramic braces. However, there are also several downsides that you should know about before selecting them. Knowing all these will help you choose the best. This section pros and cons of ceramic braces. Read on!
- Less noticeable. The material that makes ceramic braces is usually clear or tooth-colored. As such, one will rarely notice them like the metal braces lest they are close to you.
- Align teeth faster. The period braces take to align teeth is a matter of concern to many. You want braces that are effective and, at the same time, those that will not take so long to put your teeth into place. For ceramic braces to align your teeth, you need to have them on for 18 to 36 months. This is different from Invisalign that will require another 12 months to work.
- Less expensive. Ceramic braces are a less expensive option relative to Invisalign braces.
- Can treat teeth with more significant misalignment. For severe misalignment cases, ceramic braces are the best option. Clear braces cannot work here.
- Variety of colors available. One can get ceramic braces in any color they want. This is unlike the case of metal braces, whose colors are either gray or shiny silver.
- They don’t tamper with imagining tests. Ceramic braces produce little signal interference to imaginary tests.
- Convenient. They only need one installation.
- Less durable, unlike metal braces. There a high chance of ceramic braces fracturing, which may not be the case with metal braces.
- More expensive than metal braces. In most places, they go for about $ 1000 to $ 2000. This is quite pricy relative to metal braces.
- They delay aligning teeth. Ceramic braces are fragile. As such, their brackets often break. Such increases the appointments one needs to take to repair them delaying the straightening process.
- It makes the gums susceptible. Since their brackets are larger than those of metal braces, it may be hard to clean around them. Your toothbrush may not reach the gum line making the gums swell.
- They stain. Some ties connect the wires to the brackets. These elastic ties stain easily, and the only solution is replacing them.
Ceramic braces are a good replacement option for metal braces. One cannot tell you have them on, unlike the metal ones. As such, you need not worry about how you appear, an excellent way to correct your teeth. Also, they are a cheaper option than the invisible brace.
The metal wire on ceramic braces also gives room to treat severe misalignment problems. From the discussion above, there are also several drawbacks of this type of braces. Once you weigh out the pros and cons of ceramic braces, ensure to discuss with your orthodontist. They will make it easy to pick and install braces affordable to you and those that will assure you great results.
Lastly, you can choose lingual braces, among other different types of braces in 2021. The desire to have one’s teeth straight is one thing. But who wants those that compromise on their looks? Or those that draw the attention of people when talking? People who are conscious of their image will opt to have lingual braces. These braces are similar to metal braces, but this time the orthodontist will fix them at the back of your teeth. As such, they will be invisible.
Most adults like this orthodontic treatment option. They require one to be a specific food bitter for them to work well. Otherwise, the brackets may end up popping out. Also, if you have small teeth, this is not your option. Below are some pros and cons of lingual Braces.
- Virtually invisible. If you have the braces behind your teeth, they will not be visible unless someone watches you closely as you speak.
- The set stays in your teeth at all times. Once these braces are in, there is no appointment where you will have to remove them. Whether you are brushing or eating, you can comfortably do that while they are still intact.
- Comfortable. You need not remove the braces when eating or brushing, making them a great option.
- Irritation. Since lingual braces are behind your teeth, there will be a constant collision between them and your tongue, irritating.
- Change of speech. You will notice that your speech will change once you have them on. This impairment can go for as long as 2 to 3 weeks after wearing the braces.
- Compromises on your oral hygiene. When the braces are at the teeth’ back, it’s hard to know if food sticks on the brackets. Consequently, cleaning will be an issue.
- More expensive than metal braces. Lingual braces are similar to metal braces, but they cost more because they need a unique installation process.
Lingual braces are an excellent invisible option. Even if you know the pros and cons behind them, It is best to follow an orthodontist’s inquiry to determine whether they are a good match for you. It is also good to weigh out the different types of dental braces for adults and settle for one to correct your problem.
Are Metal Braces The Best Option Among The Different Types Of Braces In 2021?
After looking at the pros and cons of metal braces, one can conclude that they are a good tooth alignment option. Unlike other different braces options, they are affordable, durable, and convenient. Their major downside is sticking out. If you can live with this, then go for it. Otherwise, other types of dental braces for adults are less visible, but they are expensive. It would help if you talked to your orthodontist to guide you on the best option that fits you. Contact Best Houston Orthodontist today for a consultation.
See Also: Cost Braces in Houston Texas